TORCS Version 1.2.4 Released
Friday, August 26, 2005 (01:35:42)
Posted by berniwadm
TORCS version 1.2.4 is available for download.
The most important changes from the gamers point of view are a lot of reworked tracks (Bernhard),
added/updated sound effects and OpenAL support (Christos, Bernhard), updated cars (Olaf Sassnick, Eliam Speedychonchon, Bernhard),
improved and new opponents (Christos, Bernhard), texture compression and down scaling (Bernhard), TDC (Eliam Speedychonchon) and quite a lot of
Bugfixes and little improvements (Bernhard, Christos and a lot of other people). Hit Read More below to review
the full set of changes.
From the developers and researchers point of view the major changes are improved portability, it now builds
out of the box on FreeBSD and Windows debug builds work as well (Thierry Thomas, Bernhard), a new track editor
version (Charalampos, Patrice) and bugfixes in the toolchain (Charalampos, Bernhard).
I would like to thank all the people which made this release possible, especially Christos, Charalampos, Patrice,
Eliam, Olaf, Eric and all contributors of former releases. Thanks as well to the community which helped with patches, testing, artwork and
valuable comments, thank you Felix K?hling, Andrew Sumner, Mart Kelder, Eugen Treise, Thierry Thomas, Rudy Godoy,
Steven Gutknecht, Christophe Baegert, Christophe Macours and Frieder Ferlemann. Without all your valuable help
we would have not been come that far. Thank you all very very much.
If you are interested in the list with the available packages or the changelog
hit the Read More link below. In case you run into trouble have a look into the FAQ, there is as well
a section about how you should report a problem. If you like TORCS and think you can write a better AI meet us here,
if you want to know how good or bad you drive find it out here. Bye, have fun,
- For the Windows gamers is an executable installer available (contains the full game binary and
artwork but no source code).
- For Linux/FreeBSD/Windows developers and Linux/FreeBSD gamers there is a full source package
available. Please follow the installation instructions carefully, do not forget to run make datainstall.
- For the Linux gamers there is as well an installer available (contains the full game binary and
artwork but no source code). Be aware that this might not work on your system, but if you try it tell us your
findings, as well if it works. It requires glibc-2.3 and a Pentium 3 compatible CPU to run.
- There are as well splitted source packages available for Linux and FreeBSD.
Updates from Former Versions
This is a collection of links with content which made it not to 1.2.4.
Changes since 1.2.4-test3
- Version number 1.2.4 (Bernhard).
- Updated Linux installer (Bernhard).
- Updated Windows installer (Bernhard).
- Windows patch for test3 (Bernhard).
- Released as 1.2.4 (Bernhard).
Changes since 1.2.4-test2
- Fixed wrong CWD set by installer for trackeditor.bat (Bernhard).
- Fixed OpenAL backend design flaw (run out of sources) (Bernhard, Christos).
- Reviewed and applied penalty clearing/pit stop patches from Mart Kelder (Mart Kelder, Bernhard).
- Prepared installation instructions for 1.2.4 (Bernhard).
- Prepared credits for 1.2.4 (Bernhard).
- Updated robot tutorial for 1.2.4 (Bernhard).
- Applied reverse gear patch from Mart Kelder (Mart Kelder, Bernhard).
- Make engine consume fuel on negative torque (Bernhard).
- Fixed cars starting at odd heights, reported by Andrew Sumner (Bernhard).
- Committed some more docs from the website into the CVS (Bernhard).
Changes since 1.2.4-test1
- Fixed problem with GL headers differences in Linux (Bernhard).
- Car sound adjustments and new samples (Christos).
- Moved learning and math headers in subdirectories to stop the upcoming
chaos, updated dependent files (Bernhard).
- Updated Windows project preparation bat files (Bernhard).
- Ported the project to Windows, except olethros and learning (Bernhard).
- Fixed resident texture problem in Windows (Bernhard).
- Updated gl headers for Windows, oss.sgi.com (Bernhard).
- Resolved some OpenAL compatibility issues (Bernhard).
- Fixed XSLT problem in Windows, was a combination of wrong dtd filename,
missing GetLocalDir and GetDataDir setup (Bernhard).
- Fixed weird bug in screen.cpp, execlp had wrong arguments (Bernhard).
- Make gcc 4.0.1 compile the code (Bernhard).
- Removed unused code in various places (Bernhard).
- Fixed virtual constructor in olethros (Bernhard).
- Removed volume setting from sound menu (Bernhard).
- Ported learning to Windows (Bernhard).
- Ported olethros to Windows (Bernhard).
- Windows version result generation now correct (Bernhard).
- Added GfCreateDir in tgf (Christos, Bernhard).
- Fixed olethros clkdtm texture (Christos).
- Changed some code according to mail of Steven Gutknecht (Steven Gutknecht,
- Kicked out SmartAssert.h (Bernhard).
- Fixed various memory leaks in Olethros (Bernhard).
- Fixed crash bug in Olethros (the proposed singleton does not work, reverted
to working version) (Bernhard).
- Fixed a possible crash bug in gui.cpp, added deactivation of
glutKeyboardUpFunc and glutSpecialUpFunc in GfuiScreenDeactivate (Bernhard).
- removed make_message and replaced it (Bernhard).
- Created a debug project for Windows, needed to remove make_message, enhanced
custom realloc for debug versions of custom malloc/free, added a workaround
for clean allocator/deallocator pair in img.cpp, etc. (Bernhard).
- Fixed one more olethros bug, linker (in Linux) was confused about which
- Tested, build and debug build work with: gcc 3.3.1 (0 warnings), gcc 3.4.3
(0 warnings), gcc 4.0.1 (a lot of warnings, but just in trackgen, otherwise
0 warnings), vc++ 6.0sp6 (release build 0 warnings, debug 131 warnings which
one can safely ignore) (Bernhard).
- Updated Windows installer, checks now for already installed versions, works
with 1.2.3 or later (Bernhard). Trackeditor is not yet included.
- Windows deinstaller does not delete generated files anymore (Bernhard).
- Integrated trackeditor into Windows installer (Bernhard).
Changes since 1.2.3
- Reworked eroad (Bernhard).
- New sounds/sound adjustments (Christos).
- Introduced additional sound effects for simuv2 (Christos).
- Reworked cg-nascar-rwd (holes, dark lod, better lighting) (Bernhard).
- Max Torque as well for simuv2 (Christophe Baegert, Christos).
- More efficient rear mirror (Felix K?hling, Bernhard).
- Reworked e-track-1 (Bernhard).
- Reworked Aalborg track (Bernhard).
- Reworked g-track-2 (Bernhard).
- Fixed wheel normals (Bernhard).
- Bugfixes in menus (Christos).
- Improvements in simuv2 (Christos, Bernhard)
- Updated porsche-gt3rs (Olaf Sassnick, Bernhard).
- Fixed weird (new introduced, post 1.2.3, car.cpp) bug in simuv2 (Bernhard).
- Applied patches from Debian maintainer (Rudy Godoy, Bernhard).
- Skidmarks code cleanup and improvment, backface culling (Christos, Bernhard).
- Applied more patches from Debian for AMD64 (Rudy Godoy, Bernhard).
- Smoke code cleanup and improvment (Christos, Bernhard).
- grey-tracks.rgb downsized (Bernhard).
- Updated clkdtm (Eliam Speedychonchon, Bernhard).
- Fixed fence transparency of g-track-3 and spring (Bernhard).
- Visualize clutch command value (Bernhard).
- Simplified conditional compiling in grtrackmap.cpp, it requires now OpenGL
1.3 compatible header files. (Bernhard).
- Added configure test for GL_ARB_texture_compression (Bernhard).
- Added configure test for GL_VERSION_1_3 (Bernhard).
- Disabled mipmapping of "*shadow*" texture files (Bernhard).
- Backface culling for car shadow (Bernhard).
- Added texture compression (Bernhard).
- Added texture downscaling (Bernhard).
- Fixed an issue in sound/simu config screen (after changing values and hitting
cancel the fields did not represent the current settings) (Bernhard).
- Added OpenGL configuration screen (Bernhard).
- Fixed inconsistency of texture loaders, "_nmm" is now obsolete, use "_n"
- Improved Makefiles of alpine-1, g-track-3 and ole-road-1 (Bernhard).
- New sound architecture/implementation with a plib and OpenAL backend
- Changes in sound menu for new sound implementation, added volume (Christos).
- Optimized ole-road-1 (Christos).
- Updated pit door (Speedychonchon).
- Fixed Windows version memory management bugs in tgf.cpp (malloc, realloc),
this should solve some trackgen/accc problems in Windows (Bernhard).
- Updated FAQ (Bernhard).
- Fixed closing of invalid file handle in maintrackgen.cpp (Bernhard).
- Fixed a bug in the msh files generated by trackgen which caused AC3D to
- Fixed missing check if model file could be loaded in elevation.cpp
- Fixed non working trackgen -H option in Linux (Bernhard).
- Fixed gamma value in image loader of elevation map loader of trackgen,
must currently match with the default in img.cpp (Bernhard).
- reviewed "(null)" texture problem and found it harmless, no immediate action
needed. Its actually a "bug" of the ac files and happened on retexturing/
"untexturing" objects. Perhaps it is not anymore the case with newer
- Reworked g-track-1 (Bernhard).
- Fixed lighting (material) properties of some models to fix the "darkening
on LOD switch problem". On some models it helps, other models need to
be reworked later (the problem there seems to be the model itself -> normals)
- Fixed strndup for FreeBSD (Thierry Thomas, Bernhard).
- Fixed a bug in collision detection which happend when 2 wrecks where
overlapping. This caused permanent collisions, which in turn avoided to call
dtProceed and therefore avoided the needed update of the data (Bernhard).
- Fixed: non ending races because of failing virtual crane, was a floating
point error accumulation problem in simu.cpp (Bernhard).
- Barrier has now a field with normal used for barrier collision detection,
reworked SimCarCollideXYScene, collide.cpp (Bernhard).
- Added vector classes, such that all berniw/bt derivates can use the same
copy, instead of having a copy in each bot (Bernhard).
- Collision code refactoring/cleanup, removed doubled code, etc. (Bernhard).
- Initial wall collision support, good enough for now, but needs
improvment and more testing. The damage is currently set very low, such
that the robots have some time to adopt (Bernhard).
- Fixed skid sound at low speeds (Christos, Bernhard).
- Fixed scroll lists numbering with more than 100 entries (Bernhard).
- Enabled configure checking for OpenAL (Bernhard).
- Fixed skidmarks when driving in reverse, bug introduced by me when enabling
backface-culling for skids (Christos, Bernhard).
- Added trackgen option to just calculate the track parameters (Charalampos).
- Increased a "margin" in trackgens track.cpp, will need further investigation
- Finished plib backend (Christos).
- Fixed Olethros module discovery memory leak (Bernhard).
- Olethros textures for gt3rs and clkdtm (Christos).
- Various fixes found with valgrind: potential crash bug in new smoke code,
a few leaks in other places (Bernhard).
- Olethros writes data files to correct location (Christos).
- Car-pitwall collisions now fine, problem was mix up of local/global
oriented vectors (Bernhard).
- Update sound max. 50 times per second (perhaps this helps with the plib
timing problem) (Bernhard).
- Improved car-car collisions (Bernhard).
- Aligned widgets in sound config screen (Bernhard).