About TORCS Mailing Lists Documentation Videos Racing Competitions Research Related Sites
Welcome to TORCS
This is the official site of TORCS, The Open Racing Car Simulator. TORCS is a highly portable multi
platform car racing simulation. It is used as ordinary car racing game, as AI racing game and as research
platform. It runs on Linux (all architectures, 32 and 64 bit, little and big endian), FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, MacOSX and Windows (32 and 64 bit). The source code of TORCS
is licensed under the GPL ("Open Source"). You find more information about the project in the menu bar on the left.
If you need help have a look at the FAQ first, I added a new Researchers section. You can contact us on the torcs-users
mailing list (you need to subscribe to use it because of spam).
There are various sites on the Internet dedicated to TORCS with additional content (cars, tracks, documentation, patches, etc.),
you can find them in the "Related Sites" section in the menu on the left. If you are interested in racing visit the sites listed in the
If you need new tracks use the online track generator.
Have fun, Bernhard.
TORCS version 1.3.7 "documented" released
TORCS version 1.3.7 "documented" is available for download. First I would like to thank the contributors which helped with patches, bug reports and feedback, especially Wolf-Dieter Beelitz for our lengthy suspension discussion.
The most important changes in version 1.3.7 are the much improved api documentation (available as separate tarball), improved handling of configuration files, improvements in the racing rules, blacklisting of input device buttons, improvements in the suspension code and as usual bugfixes and code cleanups.
Changes since 1.3.6
- Added missing pictures for Doxygen generated documentation (Bernhard).
- Fixed all Doxygen (version 1.8.2) warnings (Bernhard).
- Adjusted Doxygen configuration (Bernhard).
- Added architecture overview to documentation (Bernhard).
- Updated documentation in params.cpp (Bernhard).
- Improved some currently unused functions in params.cpp (Bernhard).
- params.cpp cleanup (Bernhard).
- Restructured/improved robottools documentation (Bernhard).
- Improved documentation of interfaces (track, graphic, robot, simu) (Bernhard).
- Improved pointer checking in RmLoadingScreenSetText (Bernhard).
- Improved race manager API documentation (Bernhard).
- Added RmGetCategoryName to race manager API, as the name suggests (Bernhard).
- Removed obsolete file confscreens.h (Bernhard).
- Improved ReApplyRaceTimePenalties for cases where drivers did not complete a
single lap or the car has been wrecked (Bernhard).
- Removed some outdated files from human driver (Bernhard).
- TORCS configuration and result files go now to correct place on Windows,
e.g. to AppData/Local/torcs on Windows 7 (Bernhard).
- Result saving creates directory if not available, matters when creating
custom racemanagers or running custom batches with -r (Bernhard).
- Improved -r on Windows, paths containing backslashes ('\') are now working
- Added ShFolder.lib to VS 6 project files (required for SHGetFolderPath).
For VS 6 builds you will need to install the Windows Server 2003 February
Edition CORE SDK (the last one which worked with VS 6) and set the lib
and include path in the VS 6 options (Bernhard).
- Fixed some gcc 4.8.1 warnings (Bernhard).
- Disabled penalties after race finish, reported by MarkP (MarkP, Bernhard).
- Added new options to trackgen for testing, see -i, -o (Bernhard).
- Added a test suite to generate a bulk of tracks ("test" directory) (Bernhard).
- Added blacklisting of button events in player preferences, needed to set up
input devices which fire button and axis events on analogue buttons, e.g.
L2/R2 of playstation 4 controllers. Add in the drivers section of
preferences.xml e.g. <attstr name="blacklisted events" val="BTN7-0,BTN8-0"/>
- Improved wheel velocity calculation (Bernhard).
- Improved suspension code to catch damping spikes in extreme conditions and
setups, for TRB (Wolf-Dieter, Bernhard).
- Added comments in susp.cpp (Bernhard).
- Ensure that the third element just produces positive forces (Wolf-Dieter,
Posted by berniwadm Thursday, May 26, 2016 (12:11:46)
Championship 2015 results
I wish you all and your families a happy new year.
The TORCS Endurance World Championship 2015 is done,
the winner is this time the Hymie Tech Team owned by
Andrew Sumner, good to have you back, Andrew. This is his second title after 2007,
congratulations. Especially remarkable is the fact that he is the first to win a championship with a
car4-trb1 car. Another premiere was the first race ever on the reworked dirt-2 track. A certain track section got a name from Andrew, the "Meat Grinder", could not be better;-)
There is another record to mention, my Berniw Racing Team passed this season the mark of 100 official races
and covered almost 100000 km racing distance. What a ride, started back in 2004!
I would like to share a quote from Andrews review of race 2: "This was an enthralling and fascinating race to watch, as good as any real-life event and one of the best TRB races I can ever remember.". Andrew published very cool race reviews, don't miss these:
Posted by berniw Thursday, December 31, 2015 (12:27:07)
Championship 2015 is ready to sign in
The TORCS Endurance World Championship 2015 is ready to sign, to prepare the season there are as well test races available. If you want to get an impression of the past championships, have a look at the 2012 Championship roundup video or the 2014 footage.
As a starting point for your robot you can download the last years competitors here. I hope to meet you on the track.
Posted by berniw Sunday, February 01, 2015 (11:42:48)
Championship 2014 Results and Videos
I wish you all and your families all the best for 2015, happy new year.
The TORCS Endurance World Championship 2014 is done, the winner is the DanDroid Team owned by Daniel Schellhammer. He took the crown for the third time in a row, congratulations.
There are videos covering all the races, if you spot funny/interesting/exciting moments just post the time index with a comment in the videos comment section, then I can later produce a "best of" video.
Posted by berniw Thursday, January 01, 2015 (13:49:10)
Documentation Updates and Random Bits
Here are some documentation updates and random bits:
Posted by berniwadm Saturday, May 31, 2014 (15:54:39)
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Staff Online:No staff members are online!
Would you like to develop a robot ?
We have received11440627
page views since